Welcome to the Official VietACT Intern Blog! It provides an opportunity for the current VietACT Intern to engage in a dialogue with our members, the community, and those interested in our efforts and fight against human trafficking. This blog will feature updates and observations from the shelter in Taiwan, thoughts and feelings from the current VietACT Intern, as well as news updates and information about human trafficking in general. Thanks for visiting!


Sunday, July 13, 2008

I can't believe it is already my third day in Taiwan; time flies when there is so much to do. I think I've gotten to know most everyone's names--I just hope I can remember them. I feel like I see a new person at the shelter everyday. I find it amazing that given the situations they are in, the majority of them are very cheerful and are eager to talk to me. I've gone on some excursions with a few of them by happenstance, and they were all delightful adventures. One day I went to Taipei with a sister to buy a cd, and yesterday I went with three people to check out laptop computers. They all seem to be very fun and eager to have a good time.

On Friday, Cha Hung, Chi Loan, Chen Chen, a few of the sisters at the shelter, and I attended a public hearing with Taiwanese legislators and other government officials concerning the lack of protections afforded to migrant laborers--specifically those engaged in home-care. It seems the government has been "all talk and no action" for the past several years on the issue, and this hearing was a forum for any and all to voice their frustrations with the current system. As the discussion was obviously in Mandarin, I am extremely grateful to Chen-Chen for being my personal interpreter...you are the best! There were also many labor-rights organizations present and it was a great sight to see the solidarity that was present that day. My notes are currently at home so I will post more on this topic in a subsequent entry.

I start officially teaching next week and am a bit nervous, but I think it will be fun. Getting to the shelter, I was actually surprised to find that there are about an equal amount of men and women here so I want to incorporate activities that are gender-neutral. I think dance lessons will be fun (the ladies had a blast with your lesson, Anthony!), and I'm eager for yoga (maybe when the weather is not so unbearable), and cooking lessons. I also look forward to nightly volleyball (although I am terrible), and just chilling on the couch. Just a side note: Cha Hung sure is a jack-of-all trades--he does acupuncture for family members nightly and also teaches them reflexology (which I am eager to learn!) Seriously, what can't he do?

Sorry if this entry was a bit convoluted, but I just wanted to get everything down before dinner. I also have to try and tackle this MS ACCESS problem we are having and am HIGHLY frustrated with it right now.

No comments: