Welcome to the Official VietACT Intern Blog! It provides an opportunity for the current VietACT Intern to engage in a dialogue with our members, the community, and those interested in our efforts and fight against human trafficking. This blog will feature updates and observations from the shelter in Taiwan, thoughts and feelings from the current VietACT Intern, as well as news updates and information about human trafficking in general. Thanks for visiting!


Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Dear Friends,

All is well in Taiwan, or as well as things can be in a country where the weather is unbearable and the issue of human trafficking is more than detestable. After two weeks here at the shelter and the Vietnamese Migrant Workers and Brides Office (VWMBO aka TaiwanACT), the women and men are getting used to me and have started opening up to me. They are very eager to talk about their children and even more eager to ask if I have children. Apparently, at twenty-two I am three years past my prime "getting married and raising children" age. Although the sisters here seem a bit jaded about their experiences with men, they put on a very strong front and Cha Cuong (Associate Executive Director here at VWMBO) has talked to me about how each person here as a personal and painful story. As I write this blog post, I can hear Cha Cuong give a lecture to the brothers and sisters here at the shelter on how to cope with anger and pain. As I enter my third week in Taiwan, I am touched by the support the VWMBO staff offer for the victims, I am motivated by the courage of all the men and women here at the shelter and I am grateful for VietACT for sending me here.

The TaiwanACT and I teach a total of four English language classes per week. Last week's English class involved numbers, money, and sightseeing which coincided with our weekend field trip to Taipei 101 (the world's largest building and fastest elevator). This week's English lesson involves the Food Pyramid and this weekend we will make keo dau phong (Vietnamese peanut brittle). We try our best to lighten the mood here at the shelter.

This past weekend, one of the sisters entered my room in the middle of the night and cried to me. This was the first time I actually saw how much pain these women are in. I did my best to console her but it was hard for me to express how I really felt. I struggled with my emotions and my limited Vietnamese vocabulary and told her to cheer up because she is in a much better place physically here at VWMBO and emotionally with all of the support Cha Hung, Cha Cuong, Chi My-Nga, and the rest of the staff here than where she was a few months ago. But what she said in response resonated with me for days: "Living in the here and now is difficult, but living for an uncertain future is worst." How can she avoid returning to Viet Nam "tay trang" (empty handed)?

I know that the VWMBO staff is working on her case here, but I have been thinking about what she said and realize that living for an uncertain future truly is worst. Thus, it is important to focus on prevention and public awareness.

With that said, the brothers and sisters here at the shelter and the staff at the VWMBO are deeply touched and grateful for all of the donations, dedication, and efforts of everyone who participated in the Relay Against Trafficking. Ever since I got here, I have been boasting about the numbers of participants, volunteers, and funds raised. Everybody here is very proud, I think the proudest person is me.

No comments: