Welcome to the Official VietACT Intern Blog! It provides an opportunity for the current VietACT Intern to engage in a dialogue with our members, the community, and those interested in our efforts and fight against human trafficking. This blog will feature updates and observations from the shelter in Taiwan, thoughts and feelings from the current VietACT Intern, as well as news updates and information about human trafficking in general. Thanks for visiting!


Thursday, August 14, 2008

Four of our brothers left last week because they were able to find new jobs. It was a happy day for them, but also bittersweet as we shared some good times and talks and now I probably will never see them again. As they were getting ready to leave with their backpacks and roll-away luggage, the rest of us stood to bid them goodbye with hugs, handshakes, and high-fives. I wish them the very best--it's the least they deserve.

Last Tuesday, one of our case workers had to go to a police station to translate for four men (boys, really) because they were confined by their employer and now were being detained . When we got there, they were essentially being held in prison although they had done nothing wrong. I saw no reason for that kind of treatment. To be fair, before these men had worked at their current employer, they had "escaped" from their previous employer because their contract was not met. This is considered illegal under Taiwanese law, but at the same time it is against the law to not fulfill a binding contract. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure this is illegal. If I paid inordinate amounts of money to a broker, then later became exploited and abused, I would also leave that situation. I can't blame these people for doing what they did. They were defrauded. Anyway, one of the police officers spoke some English and he actually asked me what I thought of human rights in Taiwan. A very general question, but I gave him a candid answer based on the people I've spoken with and my experiences thus far. Obviously I was being put on the spot, but I thought I gave a very civil, yet honest answer. He agreed with me that the broker system needed to be fixed. It was an interesting conversation. Also I must say that people took their time around that office. We didn't get home until 5am. A long night, indeed, but I learned a lot.

Classes are fun. We started dance classes with the Cha-cha-cha. I have two left feet myself so I watched a bunch of YouTube videos. We sure worked up a sweat and had lots of laughs. So far in English classes, we've gone over general introductions, numbers, talking about family, colors, days, months, and birthdays, etc. I try to incorporate games whenever I can and always have treats as incentive to participate. Candy always helps! Everyone is pretty great at being open to learning. We also have six new computers at the shelter now and I am currently trying to link them to the internet--I wish I was more IT savvy.

Also, sorry for the lack of pictures...they will be up soon!

No comments: