Welcome to the Official VietACT Intern Blog! It provides an opportunity for the current VietACT Intern to engage in a dialogue with our members, the community, and those interested in our efforts and fight against human trafficking. This blog will feature updates and observations from the shelter in Taiwan, thoughts and feelings from the current VietACT Intern, as well as news updates and information about human trafficking in general. Thanks for visiting!


Thursday, September 25, 2008

I am learning so much everyday--it's overwhelming, but in a good way. And it's the type of learning that I could never hope to get from a book, or from a lecture by one of my fabulous professors at UCSB. It's a more personal education, I would say. Talking to my brothers and sisters at the shelter has allowed me to get up-close and personal with what it is to be human, to struggle, to love, to sacrifice. I constantly feel like I want to write down everything they are saying, but that would be quite impossible. There are so many great stories, personal journeys, instances of defeat and triumph; I don't know what else to say, but that this is the best learning experience I have ever had, and, it's not over yet. I was telling a friend how being here, working in a shelter for victims of trafficking and labor exploitation and other types of inhumane treatment, affords many opportunities for existential crises. I guess what I'm trying to say is that listening to the life experiences of the people here, I constantly wonder why I am where I am in life. Why am I living in beautiful and sunny Santa Barbara completing my graduate education when my roommate could only dream of completing high school? Suddenly all the things that I worry and stress out about seem so unimportant. Really, why is life so random and unfair?

No comments: