Welcome to the Official VietACT Intern Blog! It provides an opportunity for the current VietACT Intern to engage in a dialogue with our members, the community, and those interested in our efforts and fight against human trafficking. This blog will feature updates and observations from the shelter in Taiwan, thoughts and feelings from the current VietACT Intern, as well as news updates and information about human trafficking in general. Thanks for visiting!


Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Here is a letter I wrote before I came to Taiwan (it was a letter I read to VietACT Walk Against Trafficking Participants):

Dear my Vietnamese sister and brother, one whose face I have not yet seen, whose story is not mine but whose pain I share,

When I first heard stories about you feeling helpless, defenseless, and hopeless, I promised myself that I would make my life meaningful by giving you an advocate, a voice, a friend. Although we might be separated by oceans, state borders, or walls, the fact that this is happening to you, my Vietnamese sister, my Vietnamese brother, makes your anguish mine. The fact that our community has been called on to do something for you makes your struggle ours. Dear sister, brother, the next time I hear your story, I promise you that you will be able to tell me your story in person. I promise to be your voice, advocate, and friend. I promise to give you hope, I promise that you will be defended, I promise to help. Dear sister, brother, I pledge to you that the pain we have will become a love we share.

My message to Cha Hung, TaiwanACT and gia dinh (my family here in Taiwan): Thank you, everyone, for sharing your stories with me and leaving a deep and profound impact on my life. I promise to keep my pledge to you - to be your voice and advocate when I get back to the States and thank you for being my friend and a source of affection and inspiration during my two months in Taiwan. I will never forget the faces I've met, the stories I have heard, and most importantly, the love we shared. I will cherish my memories of the office and all my friends and hope you have faith in knowing that our experiences here have left a lasting impression on my heart.

God bless,
Vi-vi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey,

i commend you for your genuine care of those affected by human trafficking. it is hard enough to hear about related stories, and must even be more difficult to witness the pain first-hand. hopefully, more will follow in your footsteps and with one individual at a time, help combat this social evil with good.

-Aidan