Welcome to the Official VietACT Intern Blog! It provides an opportunity for the current VietACT Intern to engage in a dialogue with our members, the community, and those interested in our efforts and fight against human trafficking. This blog will feature updates and observations from the shelter in Taiwan, thoughts and feelings from the current VietACT Intern, as well as news updates and information about human trafficking in general. Thanks for visiting!


Friday, July 13, 2007

Hey Everyone,

This is Anthony Nguyen (or Vinh) and I am honored to serve as one of two VietACT Interns for the summer of 2007. I’m a recent graduate from San Diego State University (SDSU- Go Aztecs!) with a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science. I got involved with VietACT after learning about human trafficking during a San Diego community event in 2004. Months later, I was introduced to Tammy during a UVSA meeting and since then, have serve VietACT as an active member and currently- the Region Representative for San Diego.

As the week dwindles down, the realization that I’ll be heading to Taiwan to work with our victimized brothers and sisters is still surreal. However, after spending one last summer dinner with friends, visiting close relativities, and soon- one last summer mass with the family… it HIT me. Taiwan awaits and it’s time to put my passion into action.

Like most of you- I’ve watched the documentaries, read the memoirs, and have seen the photos. But to be in the scene and environment of this global reality is truly something I know I can never forget. I hope to come away from this experience with an even stronger passion to hopefully motivate and encourage others to do something about human trafficking. Whether it’s to be self educated about the situation, coordinate an awareness event, or join VietACT. Remember, “The only thing necessary for evil to flourish if for good men to do nothing” – Edmund Burke.

With regards to my work in Taiwan, I’ve been assigned to work with the Microsoft Access Program to categorize and analyze over 700+ cases of human trafficking victims. Upon completion of this assignment, I hope to leave TaiwanACT (and VietACT) with useful information about the victims of human trafficking. On weekends, Cha Hung and I will be meeting with Taiwan Officials and other NGOs to hopefully network, collaborate, and perhaps work on further awareness and legislative initiatives on human trafficking. In getting to know the victims better, I will be running weekly “Arts and Crafts” classes, therefore, if any of you have old art supplies, please send them directly to the office.

Following this internship, I will be heading to Washington D.C. (in the fall) to intern for the U.S. Department of State. Hopefully we (VietACT) can utilize this opportunity to execute some political action with regards to human trafficking. Perhaps this will be a good time to reveal our signature campaign to congress? Finally, I’ll be heading back to school to get my Master’s Degree in International Affairs/Relations and we’ll see where this will lead me. If there’s anything else you want to know about me, please feel free to email me!

Please visit this blog and message me every now and then, as I will do my best to update this frequently. It would be nice to hear from home – VSAers, SDSUers, Viet ACTor & ACTresses, and “the Gangs” (you know who you are) – I’ll be waiting for your messages!!!

Lastly, hopefully the conference planning is going well. Sorry I can’t be there to directly help out with that- but will do whatever I can overseas (e.g. PR!!!). Three days and counting… but until then- guess I better start packing??? O_O

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey vinh! this is yoli!

wow..what you are doing is a great thing. Makes me want to go out there and make a difference. But also makes me feel ashamed for not doing anything at all!

Well, I do hope you will learn a lot and teach me some things when you get back. You are doing a great thing I hope it turns out to be very successful.

Have fun, stay safe and take a lot of pictures.

Okay now hurry and pack!!!