Welcome to the Official VietACT Intern Blog! It provides an opportunity for the current VietACT Intern to engage in a dialogue with our members, the community, and those interested in our efforts and fight against human trafficking. This blog will feature updates and observations from the shelter in Taiwan, thoughts and feelings from the current VietACT Intern, as well as news updates and information about human trafficking in general. Thanks for visiting!


Monday, August 06, 2007

Below is what the women folded on the first day of class - the origami flower box with mini wishing stars. Each star contains a written wish!


Yesterday (on Sunday 8/5/07) was Father's Day in Taiwan. It is usually celebrated on August 8th, but since they wanted to celebrate things on a religious day, we celebrated it on the 5th (Sunday) . The official holiday is call "Ba Ba Jie". The number "8" in Taiwan is pronounced "Ba" and "Ba" means "Father" in Vietnamese. So the 8th Day of the 8th month is reserve for Father's Day. The mass was conducted at another church, so a group of 3-6 women took me on my first bus ride and a stroll on the streets of Taipei. There are so many stores here. They have A LOT of 7-Eleven, KFC, and the infamous McDonald.

Here is my first Boba Drink in Taipei. It's MUCH better over here!


Here's the inside of the church that we attended for "Ba Ba Jie"


On our way back from church, the women introduced me to stinky tofu - something only a small percentage of foriegners can tolerate. I LOVE IT!!! Although too much will make me sick! I heard about stinky tofu through those Chinese Drama I watched. It's finally great to taste it!



Finally, this is the path I take to work each day. It takes no less than 5 walking minutes to get there!

Today was on the downlow. I spent more time on the database project than I did with the women. Dinner is about to start and then I'll be free to play volleyball, mahjong, and watch our nightly drama with the women! More later!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE STINKY TOFU!!! Eat as much as you can over there, because I haven't found it over here. Maybe when you come back we can search for it together and you can tell me all the great stories!!!