Welcome to the Official VietACT Intern Blog! It provides an opportunity for the current VietACT Intern to engage in a dialogue with our members, the community, and those interested in our efforts and fight against human trafficking. This blog will feature updates and observations from the shelter in Taiwan, thoughts and feelings from the current VietACT Intern, as well as news updates and information about human trafficking in general. Thanks for visiting!


Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Last week, I taught the women various terms of the human body: head, ears, etc. Following the lesson, I taught them how to make Worry Dolls - emphasizing on the words we all just learned. Vanessa taught this (terms of the human body) last summer and made sock monkeys with the women - I'm doing Worry Dolls instead! I believe Worry Dolls originate from Guatemala. Legend has it that when you go to bed at night, you tell one "worry" to each doll - place them under your pillow - and when you wake up, the dolls will take THAT worry away. I thought the project was very appropriate and therefore, decided to execute it during the week of learning human body part terminology.

Here are images of the Worry Dolls / Hinh Nhan Lo Lang:





The middle one (pink/gray) was the best! I think recognizing her skills via posting on this blog is A MUST! Good Job!!!
Status at the shelter...
One of the women here is very fraustrated with everything - she obviously needed some fresh air. I told her I needed a hair cut, so asked if she could take me to the barber shop. She was more than happy too. While walking, I began to asked her, whats going on, etc. She vented her problems and I encouraged her to let it all out. Although I only know her for 3 weeks or so now, I understand her personality very well. I gave her my advice and told her not to mind what other people say or think, etc. After awhile, I started to put my wise [crack] jokes to use. She started to laughed again and soon we were at the shop. After my hair cut, we got some Boba and she told me she felt much better. She told me she can't find anyone here like me that she can talk to about her problems. Sure there's Cha Hung and the rest of the staff here, but I guess its less intimidating to talk to me? Well, she's definitely much better now... lets hope there's no more problems!!!
About a week or so left in Taiwan. Time flies by so quickly. Anywho, here are some random pictures of Taiwan!
KFC fries with cheese sauce and rice cracker? Very interesting!


Lots of Gashapon places!


Various fruits at the market place. This one is Sour Sop [I believe?]


I believe we just call this the star fruit?


This is what I play at night! It's call "Ka-Ro". I'm still a beginner - its a very intensive game. Sort of like a complex Tic-Tac-Toe, but you need five in a row. It's fun though~!


Last but not least, this past Sunday was Happy Valentine's Day in Taiwan, Le Tinh Nhan.

No comments: